JERWOOD ASSISTANT DIRECTOR PROGRAMME
About the Jerwood Assistant Directors Programme
Learning from experienced directors by assisting is a vital chance to develop skills and understanding. Equally, having the chance to spend time in a theatre and understand how the various departments work together is also an important aspect of a director's knowledge. Each year the Jerwood Assistant Director Program, supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation will aim to provide six assistant directorships which include a residency at the Young Vic and an attachment to a production.
The programme will include:
- An assistantship on a Young Vic production or co-production
- A two-week tailored training programme observing day to day running of the theatre, attending planning and management meetings and spending time in departments such as marketing, production and development
- Professional practice workshops, led by Young Vic associates
- The opportunity to direct a short piece of work, in The Clare Theatre, to be presented alongside the work of other Jerwood Assistant Directors
- The opportunity to devise and lead two peer-led projects for the Genesis Directors Network
Each assistant will receive a fee which covers their training programme and assistantship on a production. There is a small budget to support the direction of a short piece in The Clare and the international practice exchange.
Recent Jerwood Assistant Directors include:
- Mina Barber, The Convert
- Eva Sampson, Twelfth Night
- Lucy J. Skilbeck, Fun Home
- Sadie Spencer, The Inheritance
- Nicole Charles, The Jungle
- Anna Poole, Wings
- Natalie Denton, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation
These opportunities will be advertised through the Genesis Directors Network. Please do not write in with unsolicited requests to work as an assistant at the Young Vic.